There is no doubt that arts are for fun. Especially the feeling of diving your hands into those paints to make a beautiful picture is just awesome. Where exactly have the arts in education gone? Just like studies, arts also help kids develop on many fundamental levels.
The trend of schools cutting arts from the curriculum is not new. We have seen how it has gone down over the past several years.
Here are a few points to make us understand how arts help kids to learn and develop important characteristics they will need as adults:
- Creativity:This may seem absurd, but this is a proven fact that art allows kids to express themselves better than math or science subjects. Art induces the creative side of the brain. If children can practice thinking creatively, it will eventually come naturally to them now and in the future as well.
- Improved Academic Performance:Arts not just develops a child’s creativity, the skills which they learn through arts reflects into their academic achievement as well. Recent research explains how young people who take part regularly in arts are four times more likely to be recognized for their academic achievement than people who do not take part.
- Motor Skills:Even simple things like holding a paintbrush or scribbling with a crayon are important elements for the development of a child’s fine motor skills. Research says development around age three should include drawing a circle and beginning to use safety scissors. While around age four, children should be able to draw a square and cut straight lines with scissors.
- Visual Learning:Drawing, painting, and sculpting in art class develop visual-spatial skills in young children. Children should know more about the world than just what they learn through their texts and numbers. Students learn to interpret, criticize, and use visual information while making choices based on it.
- Perseverance:Arts can be challenging. Hard work and perseverance pay off. This mindset will eventually grow and benefit them in different areas, especially in their careers, where they will probably be asked to develop new skills and work through difficult projects.
Focus is the key and its vitality perseveres through painting. This helps in both present and future as the focus is not just essential for studying and learning in class also in a job later in life.
Kids in the arts learn that they are responsible for their contributions, their work. They know mistakes are a part of life, and learning to accept them, fix them, and move on will serve them as they grow older.
Is your child showing more interest towards arts? One of the best schools in chennai, we at Ellen Sharma not only offer our students the ultimate education but we also believe, support and encourage students to excel and succeed more in the field of arts.